This year’s interactive discussion will focus on value in healthcare, the current challenges we’re facing in this industry and how the medtech community can create products and services that provide positive change in the healthcare system.
Tuesday, September 10, 2013
Registration & Buffet Breakfast
7:30 – 8:30 AM
Welcome & Introduction
Amy Belt Raimundo, VP, Covidien Ventures
Stacy Enxing Seng, President, Vascular Therapies, Covidien
8:30 – 8:45 AM
Opening Keynote Speaker – Value from the Patient’s Perspective
Kelly Corrigan*, NYT bestselling Author “The Middle Place”
8:45 – 9:30 AM
Introduction to Panel Sessions
Deborah Kilpatrick, COO, CardioDx
9:30 – 9:45 AM
Panel #1: Industry Adaptation – Driving Value from Within
9:45 – 10:45 AM
The accelerating cost of healthcare, combined with the current global economic struggles, are significant driving forces challenging traditional cost savings approaches. This panel explores novel models implemented within the healthcare industry to achieve value from within. What are innovative approaches to drive value across R&D, clinical, and sales functions within the industry?
- Stacy Enxing Seng, President, Vascular Therapies, Covidien
- Andreana Dereniak, Senior Director, Global Strategic Marketing, Abbott Diabetes Care
- Dianne Blanco, CEO & Director, Orteq Inc.
- Tracy Campbell Accardi, Chief Technology Officer, OmniGuide Surgical
- Kristin Dietzler, Vice President & General Manager, Nursing Care Division, Covidien
10:45 – 11:00 AM
Panel #2: Saving Money to Raise Money – Funding Value Stories
11:00 – 12:15 PM
Is taking cost out of the healthcare system the new ‘must have’ for raising capital from investors or interest from corporate partners? Investors, industry leaders, and entrepreneurs will explore creative value stories that exist today, criteria that are being used to measure value, and identify ways we can manage and integrate solutions for the value demands in today’s healthcare environment.
- Terri L. Burke, Vice President, Marketing & Business Development, Edwards Lifesciences
- Gwen Watanabe, Vice President of Business Development & Technical Resources, Teleflex Incorporated
- Lisa Earnhardt, President & CEO, Intersect ENT
- Jeani Delagardelle, Managing Director, New Leaf Venture Partners LLC
- Rebecca Robertson, Managing Director, Versant Ventures
12:15 – 1:15 PM
Panel 3: Key Stakeholders Debate: Whose Value Is it Anyway?
1:15 – 2:15 PM
This panel is a mock debate between a fictional Entrepreneur, Provider, Payor and Patient to illustrate the competing agendas as to what is considered “valuable” innovation and why. Panelists will address not only the inherent conflicts of these different constituencies, but also provide ideas about navigating in a market of new realities: rising costs of innovation, a challenging reimbursement environment, and an emphasis on healthcare cost containment.
- Killu Sanborn, Director of Business Development, Oxford Finance LLC
- Debbie J. Baker, Director of Business Development, Oxford Finance
- Aenor J. Sawyer, MD, MS Associate Director, Strategic Relations, UCSF Center for Digital Health Innovation Director, UCSF Skeletal Health Service Assistant Clinical Professor, Department of Orthopedic Surgery
- Julie Roberts, Managing Member, Psilos Group Managers
- Alex Jung, Principal, Ernst & Young
Panel #4: Creating Value with Business Innovation in Med Tech
2:15 – 3:15 PM
As the delivery and payment for healthcare changes the landscape to one where value is rewarded, the Med Tech industry must change along with it to survive and even thrive. This panel will explore the types of business innovations and strategic solutions that create value for those touched by our products. Do we need to vertically integrate, adding services and information technology to our offerings? If so, how is that best achieved? What enablers need to be implemented to drive this shift in the market?
- Nena Bains, Partner, Kilpatrick Townsend & Stockton LLP
- Diane Kaye, Chief Revenue Officer, Asthmapolis
- Jo Carol Hiatt Chair, National Product Council and Chair,Inter-Regional New Technologies Committee, Kaiser Permanente
3:15 – 3:45 PM
Panel #5: Driving Value in Emerging Markets
3:45 – 4:45 PM
Healthcare consumption is increasing rapidly on a global scale, and many medtech companies see growth opportunities connected to emerging markets. However, delivering true value in these regions requires careful assessment of the unique risks, health metrics, reimbursement factors, medical dynamics, and cultural expectations. This panel will discuss the multifaceted needs, key regional success drivers, and value tradeoffs in several of the largest emerging geographies, as well as how to deliver impactful products to underserved markets.
- Mika Nishimura, Vice President, Commercial Development, Auxogyn
- Judith Lenane, Chief Clinical Officer & EVP, Operations, iRhythm Technologies, Inc.
- Bonnie Handke, Senior Director, Global Health Economics, Policy & Payment, Medtronic Vascular
- Krista Donaldson, PhD Chief Executive Officer, D-Rev: Design Revolution
- Zoya Brar, Founder & CEO, Core Diagnostics
- Wendy Shao,PhD, Managing Director, Research & Diagnostic Systems China Co. Ltd.
Summary of the Day, Open Q&A
Deborah Kilpatrick, COO, CardioDx
4:45 – 5:00 PM
5:00 – 6:00 PM
Dinner Keynote Speaker
Sue Siegel, CEO, healthymagination, Corporate Officer of GE
6:00 – 7:30 PM
Summary Remarks & Conclusion
Susan Stimson, VP of Marketing, Intersect ENT & Tamara Elias, Partner, Essex Woodlands
7:30 – 7:45 PM
*For more information on this Speaker/Performer please visit www.apbspeakers.com.